Uncertain is the date of Foundation of these Benedictines abbeys, but have been found documents that they speak right from the second half of the 10th century.
|plant of abbey|
The establishment of the Benedictine in these areas was in the more dark period of the middle ages.
These monks, faithful to the rule "ora et labora", in addition to pray retrevied land abandoned after the fall of the Roman Empire, accepting all those people who accepted to work the land in exchange for protection. Who wanted to work with them, the monks assegnavano of the land to grow, with these contracts called "enfiteutici" or "of level" for which workers had to give the assets in kind to the monastery such as: eggs at Easter, a shoulder of pork for the feast of the recruitment and four heads of poultry for Christmas.
These taxes were then redistributed among the poorest; indeed to the monks, rules, prevented of life of the work of others and eat meat.
In the 1030, as this monastery came less discipline and order, Pope John XIX decided to send an its delegate to re-establish them.
The name Peter restored Abbot also churches, thanks to donations at the time to the Abbey, the 1111 had immense possessions.
Dependent parish churches were thirty, each governed by a monk elected by the Abbot, without any dependency on the bishops who however, interference on time Affairs of the monks which in turn, to defend themselves, using Holy faith, which depended directly.
The Val di fiume's Abbot if exercised all rights and powers of a Bishop made the sacred pastoral visit to parishes subject to the monastery, nominated and moved monks pastors, conferred the Holy order of the diaconato ( the second degree after a bishop, in the old catholic Church).
Only the priestly orders and the consecration of oils were reserved to the Bishops of Perugia and Gubbio.
For what concerns the artistic history of the Abbey, must say that, in the course of centuries, you have followed different changes both on the architectural structure of interns and embellishment works.
The crypt, the oldest part of the complex, dates back to the IX century.
In the 1030 Abbot restored Peter churches; in the 1230 Abbot orator did the cloister, later demolished by the Saracens work perhaps at that time, did foray into the Comtat... (Yes, in 1230 saracens were in umbria, where made wath they wanted, that's one of reasons why in many towns of umbrie and tuscany there are, still now, rapresentations of Sarcens as enemies, as the famouse 'Palio del Saracino in Arezzo, 'La Quintana' in Foligno, and others similar evens in bigger or more lile towns, that's the reason why in italy there isn't racism, but now is fair, a time was respect of arabs and foreigners in general) .
On the 1281 Abbot Trasmondo build another time and decorated Abbey Church, the chorus of valuable paintings including a table of MEO de Siena of 1285, and decorated other common gathering places.
In 1267-1269 Years was built the Tower in the 1302 Abbot Ugaccione Monelducci, from Perugia, did sculpt the beautiful Rose window of the Church.
The support of the Abbey, church were built in 1568-1569 years from Pier Lorenzo Bernardi Spurs.
The Abbey, already 1300, therefore, had reached erstmaligen and current; dimensions on the north side the great Church, the dormitories and refectory, scriptorium West and the library, South East the guest with the infermeria.
The great connecting all parts of the monastery cloister consists of two overlapping loggias carried out with columns between them different.
The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is Romanesque - Gothic, and single nave with aimed at cruise. Its internal measures are respectively of 30 m length for 15 m in width. To the below are still intact; the crypt at three apses and a great environment, perhaps Church cloister monks.
The facade has a great portal to ogine, below the Rose window.
‘Still today in the church there are two large frescoes overlooking the altars seats near the portal entrance on the left is depicted Virgo throne with name between St. Anthony and S. Bernardino.
At his feet, the people, kneel down, in prayer, is located between San Rocco and s. Sebastiano.
The fresco right represents a crucifixion with the Virgin and St. John the Baptist; to the below are depicted s. Sebastiano, S.Rocco protectors fever.
The work is attributed to the school of Fiorenzo Lorenzo (1492).
In the room of the chapter, used for meetings of the monks, in addition to the crucifixion attributed to MEO de Siena, there is an another painting, presumably of the same author, depicting throne with child whose feet is pictured Abbot Trasmondo Virgo.
Beside there is another painting which is show St. Benedict has in hand the book of the monastic rule.
Cloth of subsequent depicting a Lady of mercy and an allegory of chastity eras have been raised in the same room.
The Benedictine monks living in accordance with the rules, is a dedicated man to God.
Spend their lives in prayer, daytime and night.
Sleeps, on the bed, dressed and fitted, above a mat or a straw law only books received by the Abbot; live in absolute dependence and obedience; it gives food with its work, exit the monastery only for urgent reasons affecting the community. His meals consists of focaccias; the garden herbs and vegetables of the field, cacio, fish and eggs.
Does not use seasonings; only for guests and the sick buy meat.
The visit that a made to the monastery, the 1267 Baglioni, was only served a dish of fish.
The Abbey of Montelabate was incurred to make this feasible that the motto of the rule "ora et labora" ( pray and work) and the example set by the Benedictine you that the dark period, during this period, through the Church is exceeded.
If You want understand where is that Abbaye, go to the map here
Thanx to: www.medioevoinumbria.it ; where is the original text in italian language